Upcoming Parks & Recreation Events
Here’s what’s coming up for City of Abilene’s Parks and Recreation Department. For more information, and links to sign up, go to: www.abilenetx.gov/recreation
Register your child for the City of Abilene Recreation Division After School Program!
Registration begins Wednesday, July 17th. The Program operates Monday through Friday from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm at Rose, G.V. Daniels, Sears, and Cobb Recreation Centers. The program is open to children ages 6 to 13, and follows the AISD school year. The program is $15 per person per week, or free for children on the free or reduced meal program.
- Enriched learning
- New experiences
- Fun activities
- Healthy snacks
- Homework Help
- Gym games
- & more!
The After School program will meet on early release dates, but not other Abilene ISD holidays or in-service days. The After School program is not licensed through the State of Texas.
Questions? Email email@example.com
NOTE: Transportation will not be provided by the Abilene Recreation Division; however some AISD school sites do offer transportation to the Recreation Centers
- Stories at the Park
- Saturday, August 24th
- 10am - 12pm
- Nelson Park Festival Gardens (next to the Abilene Zoo)
- FREE community event!
- Everyone is invited to enjoy "Stories at the Garden" presented by your Abilene Public Library, City of Abilene Parks and Recreation, and the Abilene Zoo. We've all come together to bring you a fantastic event with an entire line-up of great activities and featuring some very special guests, all for FREE!
- Senior Talent Show
- Saturday, August 31st
- Abilene Convention Center (1100 N. 6th)
- Tickets $5 each, purchase at Rose Park Senior Center or at the door on the day of the show
- Come out and see our talented seniors of Abilene, Texas performing on stage at the Abilene Convention Center! Doors open at 1pm.
- Haunted Half Marathon
- Saturday, October 12th
- Race starts at Elmdale Baptist Chuech (233 Elmdale Rd S)
- Registration $35 per person - abilenetx.gov/signup
- Join us for our Haunted Half Marathon October 12th at 8:00am! The race starts at Elmdale Baptist Church, 233 Elmdale Road S., and the race will run down Elmdale to Potosi Road, down Bronco Road and then back the same way. Prizes will be awarded to individuals in different age divisions, along with prizes for runners who participate in our costume contest! Registration opens September 1.
- Mayor's Hike
- Saturday, October 19th
- Cedar Creek Waterway (100 block of E.S. 11th near Maple & South 11th)
- FREE Family event!
- Take an adventurous hike with Mayor Anthony Williams for our 2019 Fall Mayor's Hike! This 3 mile hike along Cedar Creek is a FREE, family friendly event that is open to the public, and leashed dogs are welcome to join as well! Due to the terrain of the trail, strollers and bikes are not allowed. The hike will begin in the grassy area on 100 block of E.S. 11th Street, adjacent to the intersection of Maple and South 11th. Participants will travel north along the bank of Cedar Creek to Stevenson Park then return by the same trail. Parking will be available on South 11th street and signage will direct hikers to the designated parking area.
- Fall Festival
- Saturday, October 26th
- GV Daniels Recreation Center (N. 8th & Treadaway)
- FREE family event!
- Get ready for a fun, spooky evening at our Fall Festival! Come in your Halloween costumes! There will be a car show at 3pm, and trunk or treat starting at 6pm, along with fun and games happening from 6pm-9pm. We'll also have our haunted house open at 6:30, something you don't want to miss out on!